24 July 2019 - NPWJ News Digest on International Criminal Justice

Articles

When are Cases of Mladic, Stanisic and Simatovic over War Crimes in BiH be concluded?
Sarajevo Times, 24 Jul 2019

The President of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (Mechanism), Judge Carmel Agius, today presented his first progress report to the United Nations Security Council (Council) since taking up office on 19 January 2019. In his address, President Agius highlighted the most notable aspects of the Mechanism’s work during the past six months.

Read More

Electing the Next ICC Prosecutor: Who are the Committee Members?
International Justice Monitor, 24 Jul 2019

 Last month, the Assembly of States Parties (ASP) Bureau appointed the individuals who are now serving as members of the Committee on the Election of the Prosecutor. The five-person committee is charged with the important task of identifying the best candidates for the position of International Criminal Court (ICC) Prosecutor. The Bureau also appointed five independent experts to serve on a panel, which is tasked with assisting the committee in carrying out its mandate.  

Read More

War Crimes Court Resolution Gets Green Light from Lawmakers
Front Page Africa, 22 Jul 2019

Nine lawmakers on Friday signed a landmark resolution supporting the establish a war crimes court, to give justice to victims and survivors of the 14-year civil war in Liberia. The lawmakers pledged their support for the resolution at a conference on accountability for war crimes organized by Civitas Maxima, an organization based in Switzerland that offers legal representation for victims of war crimes and crimes against humanity. 

Read More

Palestine to step up efforts to ensure legal accountability for Israeli crimes, says ministry
Wafa- Palestinian News & Info Agency, 22 Jul 2019

The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates said today that it will step up efforts to ensure criminal and legal accountability for Israeli war crimes in Jerusalem. 
 

Read More

Netherlands Was 10 Percent Liable in Srebrenica Deaths, Top Dutch Court Finds
The New York Times, 19 Jul 2019

The Dutch Supreme Court on Friday upheld a decision that the Netherlands was partly responsible for the deaths of 350 Muslim men during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, but it slashed the level of liability for the Dutch government that was established in an earlier ruling.
 

Read More